Create your ChatGPT account by following the steps below and learn how to upgrade your account to the latest version!
Creating and accessing your GPT account
- If you do not already have an existing GPT account, you can create one here: https://chat.openai.com.
- Follow the account creation steps and sign into your account once you have finished creating one.
- Your GPT account should be ready to use! All new and basic account holders will have GPT-3.5.
To upgrade your account to GPT-4, follow these next steps.
Upgrading your account
- To upgrade your account to the latest version of ChatGPT, log into your ChatGPT account and navigate to the menu located in the bottom lefthand corner.
- Select "Upgrade to Plus", you should get a pop-up.
Select "Upgrade Plan" for ChatGPT Plus (this is the latest version, ChatGPT-4).
Complete the check out process.
- Once you have successfully upgraded your account, you should notice some key changes/features on your ChatGPT home page.
- You no longer have the Upgrade to Plus option in your menu section.
- You will have a drop down box allowing you to select which model to use.
- There will be a ChatGPT [plus] logo located in the center of your screen.
- You can also check that you have GPT-4 by selecting "My Account".
You'll get a pop-up window that shows Your Current Plan is ChatGPT Plus.
- [IMPORTANT] Now that you have successfully upgraded your account, you need to ensure you are using the latest version! When accessing ChatGPT, it may default you to GPT-3.5 due to your device cookies, change your ChatGPT model/version before proceeding with the study.
Follow these next steps on how to change the model to ensure you are using the latest version!
- Before you proceed with the study, double check that you are using ChatGPT-4 and not GPT-3.5 or earlier versions.
- Navigate to the Model drop down box located near the top of your screen.
- Click on the drop down menu and select "GPT-4" from the options.
- You have now enabled the latest version of ChatGPT (GPT-4) and should be good to go!